Published StoriesThe Standard Newspaper

Beware! Jiko heat is a death trap

NAIROBI: Behind closed doors and windows we huddle around a jiko when sweaters, jackets and socks aren’t warm enough. The warning to keep away jikos from poorly ventilated houses is rarely heeded when cold weather sets in. Unfortunately, this has warmed some people to a painless death.

This is the case of families and friends who die in their sleep as they keep warm from the jiko not knowing they are inhaling the deadly carbon monoxide emitted by the burning charcoal. So, as you enjoy the Easter break, there are lessons you and your family must learn on using a jiko inside your house.

Please follow and like us:

Comment here